Office of Safe Environment
For all Employees and Volunteers
In 2002 the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops mandated that al dioceses must establish certain policies and procedures for all adults who work with youth or vulnerable adults. The Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, AKA “The Charter”, is the result of that mandate and is a living document, last revised in 2018.
In accordance with “The Charter”, all adult employees and volunteers of the Diocese of Buffalo and its affiliated organizations who are mandated by “The Charter” are required to:
- Sign the Diocese of Buffalo Code of Conduct which outlines acceptable behavior when working with youth and vulnerable adults and consent for background check
- Complete an application for employment or volunteer work
- Have at least two references checked
- Submit to a criminal background check which is to be renewed periodically. Currently this is every six years or when a new employment or volunteer ministry begins
- Attend a live Safe Environment training workshop, specifically the Virtus Protecting God’s Children® for Adults Workshop. This is a live, in-person training session, followed by monthly VIRTUS online® Training Bulletins and periodic online re-certifications
Specific to Volunteers (plus the “For all Employees and Volunteers” section)
- Application for volunteering: Uniform Volunteer Questionnaire to be completed at school where you are volunteering
Specific to Employees (plus the “For all Employees and Volunteers” section)
- Application for Employment
- Uniform Release Authorization (provides permission for a recurring criminal background check)
All clergy have the same requirements as employees. If assigned by the Diocese of Buffalo, the Code of Conduct and background check paperwork should already be on file with the diocese.
Resources for Parents
Questions: Contact you School Administrator or the Diocesan Safe Environment Office.
Safe Environment Office (Safe Environment training):
Phone: (716) 847-5532 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Report Sexual Abuse by a priest, deacon, employee or volunteer of the diocese:
Ms. Jacqueline Joy, Diocese of Buffalo Victim Assistance Coordinator:
Phone: (716) 895-3010 email: email@example.com