The Four W's of the Education Investment Tax Credit Billby Ginny Wallace
Why should I support the Investment Tax Credit Bill?
- It proposes a dollar for dollar state tax credit for individuals and businesses who donate to non-profits organizations, like the BISON FUND, that provide scholarships that help children attend the public, private or religious school of their choice.
- It funds teacher-proposed projects and provides a dollar for dollar tax credit (up to $75.00) for teachers and other instructional personnel to purchase classroom supplies and materials.
What provisions are in the bill for public schools?
- The bill encourages individual and corporate donations to individual public schools, school districts, and non-profit organizations that operate pre-kindergarten programs, provide visual arts, music, tutoring and other educational instruction during or after-school.
- The bill's effect will increase overall state resources to public education through the state's tax code, without affecting the school aid formula; moreover, this approach would not replace school aid funding as is the case with funding from state lottery revenue.
- Additional funding could be raised to preserve programs at the margin, such as arts, music and athletics, which are most vulnerable to annual budget cuts.
Who do I contact to show my support?
- Supporters are asked to visit investined.org to register and sign an on-line petition in support of this most important piece of legislation.
- The bill has already been passed with bi-partisan support by the State Senate, so the focus is now on the State Assembly and in particular, Sean Ryan. Another way to show your support is to write, email or call Mr. Ryan to urge him to join the other representatives from WNY to help children in the greater Buffalo area by co-sponsoring the Education Investment Tax Credit Bill (A.1826)
The NY State legislative session will recess at the end of June and will not return until January 2014. Alumni, parents, grandparents, teachers, eligible students, parishioners as well as all those who believe that all children should have the option to attend the school of their choice should sign the on-line petition.
Another way to support the bill is to write, e-mail or call your Assemblymen to their demand support or to thank them for currently co-sponsoring the bill. You may find you Assembly member's contact information at: http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?sh=search. The time to act is NOW.