Emergency School Closing Information
The safety of our student, teachers, staff and school leaders is important especially during times of inclement weather. Following is a policy for the emergency closing of schools.
- It is presumed that a Catholic elementary school is closed if its public school district has closed.
- Each Catholic high school makes its own decision and contacts the media to announce its closings.
- Only a severe storm occurring during the school day warrants sending children home after the day has begun. If the public school district closes due to weather, the Catholic schools within the district will also close.
- The school parent call list is activated before sending students home. Each parent/family is personally informed that the school is closing so that they may make the needed decisions for child care.
- Each school contacts the media for an announcement at least one hour before dismissal begins.
- Closing due to student illnesses is highly unlikely and is not recommended by the Health Department.
- The lack of quality supervision justifies a school closing due to teacher illnesses. Should that be needed, the decision is made, whenever possible, the day before and communicated to parents through a letter from the principal.